For five sessions throughout the semester, Classroom Consultants participate in ESL courses designed to help international TAs in-training transition into teaching full-time at UVa. Classroom Consultants will observe, interact, and provide feedback on short teaching demonstrations given by prospective TAs on their material of study. You do not need to be a native English-speaker to apply for this position.
- Interested in classroom teaching, consulting, and cross-cultural immersion
- Looking for a small time commitment (5 sessions/semester)
- Available regularly on either Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday
- 2.5 hours (per session), five times (total per semester)
- Observe teaching presentations on subject-specific material
- Communicate feedback on demonstrations to international TAs in-training
- Provide constructive commentary to help improve classroom communication
Fall 2016 Volunteering Dates (You will be selected to participate on either **************)
Monday Volunteering Option
Tuesday Volunteering Option
attend 11/16 or 11/21 (7:00PM-8:30PM)
Wednesday Volunteering Option
For questions, please contact Doris Yuan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“This experience is meant to help further the learning of international TAs, but I have learned so much from the experience. I now have a good understanding of the factors that make a good teaching presentation and I’ve learned a lot about a wide variety of topics. Also, I’ve met some very interesting people and learned about differences among cultures, in particular in academia.” — C.M., Classroom Consultant
“The volunteers were always there and being supportive, giving great advice and encouraging the class. I received great feed backs from them which I believe I could use in my future experience of interacting with students. It has become a very unique part of the EL911 course that brought interaction into the content which made the lecture not only more fun but more effective.”— X.W. Prospective International TA